how can you tell the difference between eczema and skin cancer?

3 doctor answers
Dr. (Liz)Phuong Tran
Different: Eczema or atopic dematitis is a chronic skin condition that involves scaly and itchy rashes in which you can use different kind of steroids cream to treat it. However, with skin cancer depends on what types-they need to get biopsy , excision and even surgery . Dermatologist can treat with either of the above condition.
Answered on Feb 25, 2019
Dr. M. Christine Lee
27 years experience Dermatology
Usually very easily: Usually very easy to tell but sometimes very difficult especially in cases involving the scalp in someone with a lot of sun damage and coexistent actinic keratoses.. Both can appear as a scaly patch. But usually skin cancer is a distinct isolated non healing lesion whereas eczema involves multiple patches of dry skin. A dermatologist would be the most skilled at recognizing the difference.
Answered on Jun 9, 2018
Dr. Travis Kidner
16 years experience Surgical Oncology
See your derm: This can be difficult sometimes to determine. It is best to show the lesion to your friendly dermatologist.
Answered on Apr 5, 2020