I have really bad acid reflux to where it wakes me in the night and I have to sit up and wait for hours till it stops. Laying down only makes it worse and water doesn't seem to help. What's wrong?

Dr. Kevin Considine
29 years experience in Family Medicine
Many Possibilities: If this is chronic and not a new problem may need to consider your diet such as things like coffee, smoking, spicy foods, and alcohol intake. Also there can be a chronic infection of the stomach that can cause this called h. Pylori which can be tested for by blood and stool tests. This is treatable with antibiotics. Also try otc meds like Zantac (ranitidine) and Prilosec with maalox. Try changing diet as well.
Answered on Feb 19, 2015
2