is tramadol and vicodin or percocet in the same family? i had a seizure from cymbalta (duloxetine) and tramadol and one of my drs says they're in the same family.

Dr. Bac Nguyen
All analgesics, but: Percocet =oxycodone+tylenol; vicodin=hydrocodone+tylenol. Oxycodone/hyrdocodone are opioid agonists and thus belong to same class as opioids. Tramadol is a non-opioid derived synthetic opioid and acts only as a partial opioid. Tramadol + Cymbalta (duloxetine) combo decreases seizure threshold and thus can induce seizure in susceptable folks. So, combo use is cautioned. Consult doc. Good luck.
Answered on Jun 30, 2014