I had just gotten my wisdom teeth out. i have this periogard (chlorhexidine gluconate) stuff and i don't know why i need to use it?

Dr. Charles Kattuah
Dentistry 24 years experience
Prevent infection: Perioguard is an antimicrobial mouthwash. The reason that they want you to use it is to help prevent infection of the surgical site. If you don't like the taste then ask them if you can discontinue it. I usually have my patients rinse with warm salt water after extractions.
Dr. Robert Fong
Dentistry 37 years experience
Decrease infection: It improves you chances of healing without complications. Any wound can get infected. The mouth is a very dirty place. By using the mouthwash you have the peace of mind that you did what you could to heal faster.
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dentistry 46 years experience
Helps with healing: Follow the post-op instructions to help you heal faster and hopefully prevent infection.
Last updated Dec 4, 2020