Can you get rid of asthma completely?

11 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Alex Martinez answered

Specializes in Allergy

Probably not: Because asthma has a genetic component to it, in most cases you can't get "rid" of or "outgrow" asthma, you can only control it. Remember, asthma is inflammation, and studies suggest that even when patients feel fine and have no asthma symptoms there is likely some underlying inflammation present in the airways at all times. Conditions that mimic asthma (like bronchitis) can resolve completely.

Answered 1/12/2016

6.3k views

Dr. Stuart Rhein answered

Specializes in Allergy and Immunology

Not usually.: Asthma is a condition of hyperactive airways that can be triggered by different causes that vary from person to person. If the only trigger for your asthma is inhaling cat dander, and you remove the cat from your home, you may have very little asthma unless you encounter cats outside your home. Most asthma can be very well controlled, however, either with medications or allergy desensitization.

Answered 1/27/2017

6k views