I have mild excerise induced only asthma. i take prevent inhaler anyway. will i suffocate and die in my sleep? i only get symptom when excerise but ??

12 doctors weighed in across 5 answers
Dr. Heidi Fowler answered

Specializes in Psychiatry

That sounds: unlikely. But if you were to develop pneumonia or another condition that markedly compromised breathing - then that should be evaluated. Take care.

Answered 11/2/2014

3.6k views

Dr. Darrell Herrington answered

Specializes in Family Medicine

See your doctor: No one with asthma suffocates in their sleep. If you have been shown to have airway constriction only with exercise, and only when allergens or temperature are irritative, then you would only need a bronchodilator prior to exercise. Seasonal maintenance medication can also be protective.

Answered 11/2/2014

3.6k views

Dr. John Chiu answered

Specializes in Allergy and Immunology

Highly unlikely: Exercise-induced asthma is triggered by exercise only by definition. Even people with severe asthma do not usually die from asthma when treated properly. However, if you start to experience earlier onset or more severe attack with exertion, you should consult your doctor. It is a good idea to get a baseline lung function test to ascertain that your asthma is confined to exercise issues only.

Answered 11/7/2014

3.6k views

Dr. Krishna Anand answered

Specializes in Pediatrics

Unlikely: You get asthma only after exercise and otherwise you are O.K. The chances of getting an attack of asthma w/o exercise are low, but if it happens, you may have cough, headache, or difficulty in breathing as sign of asthma attack, which will wake you, and you won't suffocate or die. But always take your inhaler before exercise or if you feel any tightness of chest. Good luck.

Answered 3/10/2015

3.6k views

Dr. James Ferguson answered

Specializes in Pediatrics

I never consider it: I have had the same thing since long before it had a label. People who begin to develop respiratory distress will wake by reflex to begin using accessory muscles to get more air. This idea is not worth much thought.

Answered 11/3/2014

3.6k views