hi docs: if + for 2 mthfr genes, what are possible effects on body from foods high in folate (folic acid)? and is it typical to have lowish (<6) serum folate (folic acid)?

Dr. Charles Whiting
Need more not less!: If you have a problem with two MTHFR genes, you actually need folic acid supplementation. Foods high in folate will help you not hurt you. I usually recommend 4mg of folic acid a day, along with 1000ug of B-12 and 100mg B-6 per day and a bab aspirin. Some women with the MTHFR defect have repeated miscarriages. In my experience, the above supplements decrease the risk of this. Best wishes!

Last updated Mar 16, 2017