why won't my doctor refer me to an ent for tinnitus?

Dr. Lonnie Smith
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 39 years experience
Not sure: The appropriate referral would be to an ENT doctor. Ask your PCP again. You may need further testing that the PCP can't do.

What causes vertigo and tinnitus?

Dr. Anthony Mosley
Neurology 24 years experience
Many things: While inner ear problems like meniere's are on the list, the list is long and includes migraines. Only a good medical evaluation by your doctor, testing, and possibly ENT or neurology evaluations can really answer this.

Does ginkgo biloba help with tinnitus?

Dr. Dennis Diaz
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 38 years experience
Yes: An audiogram should be done to show presence or absence of a hearing loss. Gingko biloba is less successful in helping tinnitus in presence of a hearing loss. Gingko biloba has been reported to be helpful for vascular tinnitus. You needs at least 120 mg/day and i instruct most patients to use it for a minimum of 3 months. It should not be used if you are taking any other anticoagulant meds.

Is there an OTC treatment for ringing in the ears?

Dr. Rodney Diaz
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 22 years experience
No: Lots of stuff on the market, but none that I have seen work.

What can be the cause of constant ringing in my ears?

Dr. Rodney Diaz
Tinnitus: Chronic tinnitus has many causes, but commonly is associated with damage to the inner ear and/or associated hearing loss, and the brain's method of compensating for this inner ear damage / hearing loss. You should have your hearing tested by an audiologist and see an ENT to make sure nothing else is going on.

Why do my ears ring the day after a loud concert?

Dr. Dennis Diaz
Noise trauma: It is the ear's response and warning to loud noise exposure. The ringing or tinnitus should go away after 24-48 hours. It persists beyond that period of time you should be evaluated with hearing test to check for any changes in your hearing.

Last updated Jan 5, 2015