U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 26-year-old female asked:

I'm allergic to bactrim(hives), cipro, (ciprofloxacin) and now mayb possibly nitrofuratoin. what else can u take for uti?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. James Lin
A Verified Doctoranswered
Urology 52 years experience
Here are some...: Generally speaking, nitrofurantoin is still a good time-tested antibiotics for uncomplicated urine tract infection although it has been used for decades. So, it was want to take it if no allergy to it. More? Ask Doc timely. Best wish ...
Dr. James Lin
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
Provided original answer
It's nice of you to let HealthTap know the answer was very helpful.
Dec 21, 2014
Dr. Al Hegab
Dr. Al Hegabanswered
Allergy and Immunology 41 years experience
Other antibiotics: depends on the bacteria that you have got, your doctor can prescribe other antibiotics, hopefully won't cause you an allergic reaction, if an antibiotic is badly needed and no other alternative is available, you can still have it in consultation with an allergist for a process called desensitization, but that's rarely resorted to, good luck

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Feb 17, 2017


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.