Tampa, FL

I was pushing something with my thumb. this broke the nail. it is bruised, swollen, throbbing and started oozing. what will help it heal?

Dr. Glynis Ablon
Dermatology 30 years experience
Certainly try to: keep your thumb elevated, if it hangs down like when you are walking the swelling will get worse as blood will rush to it. Keep it in sling if you have to. Try icing, but a broken nail shouldn't lead to oozing. I would clean finger in 1/2 hydrogen peroxide, 1/2 water and see dermatologist
Dr. Jamil Hussain
General Practice 61 years experience
See below: From your description it appears that an infection has set in. Most of those infections are caused by skin bacteria. Levofloxacin 500 mg once a day should clear it. Fortunately the drug has become affordable (average cost of 10 tablets is now $ 8.00). A prescription is however, needed. If you do not start to show an improvement in 3 days then your MD perhaps will order appropriate tests

Last updated Feb 9, 2016