Austin, TX

what makes me allergic to dust? i just cleaned my room, and my face is all swollen. my eyes are watery too, and my throat hurts. it made me curious.

Dr. Harold Peltan
Ophthalmology 28 years experience
Dust allergy: There is something in the dust that you are allergic to. Dust can be made up of different things. You can visit a doctor to get an allergy test to see which things you are allergic to. Dust mites are one very common allergen found in dust. Consider vacuuming with a Rainbow vacuum (water filter) and mopping instead of sweeping with a broom. Wear a face mask. Use a cleanable air filter in your room.
Dr. John Chiu
Allergy and Immunology 57 years experience
Dust mites: Dust contains molds, pollen, pet dander and even chemicals. The most important allergens come from house dust mites (mostly the droppings). The most common sites for dust mites are in stuffed furniture and especially the pillows and box spring. Although vacuum with HEPA filter is recommended, the dust allergic person should not be doing the vacuuming (done at least once weekly on carpets)
Dr. Anne Phelan-adams
Allergic cascade: Allergic reactions come from the body's overreaction to contact with a "foreign" protein. In your case, it's an overreaction to dust mites and their feces which catch a ride on dust particles into your eyes and throat. Your immune system gets riled up and releases chemicals like histamine which cause itching, swelling & redness. Search >www.Medicine.net

Last updated Sep 28, 2016