PA

dentist gave me alvogyl for dry socket; said no need to come back. how long is too long for alvogyl to be in my mouth? it's tucked in there tight.

Dr. Mrugesh Dalal
Specializes in Dentistry
Followup is needed.: Alvogyl paste has a antisptic & a analgesic & ananesthetic component.When you have a dry socket,this paste may help calm down the pain,& lets your wound heal slowly from bottom up.If it is along time since the paste was placed & you have pain,discomfort or lack of proper healing, you should go back to your dentist just for a check.If everything looked OK, your dentist would advise you so.
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management 36 years experience
3-5 days: The Alvogyl adheres well to the bone and protects the socket. The medication remains for 3-5 days as the socket heals. The dressing of a socket with Alvogyl is a very safe and effective treatment.