I was diagnosed w mono 3 weeks ago. i was out of school for 2 wks and went back to school for this past week. i feel a lot better. and almost back to normal. when will i be able to kiss my boyfriend again without getting him sick?

Dr. Tanya Russo
Mononucleosis: Mononucleosis is a viral infection (EBV) that can cause extreme fatigue, sore throat, cough, abdominal pains, headaches, swollen lymph nodes and other symptoms. Treatment for Mononucleosis is mainly supportive, meaning plenty of fluids and rest until your immune system isolates it. Spleen enlargement is an uncommon but serious possibility. EBV is a lifelong infection, but usually remains silent.
Hard to say: Many get this as kids and are immune for life so he would not be at risk. You were likely contagious before you realized it and may have already exposed him.While most remain contagious for at least 3 weeks ,some can shed virus for months after an infection.This is just something the two of you need to work through. He'll probably accept the minor risk and be glad you are back.

Last updated Jul 30, 2016