had gum abscess for 2 days. got antibiotics and it popped and is all gone. if continuing for 10 days will this stop infection from spreading elsewher?

Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dentistry 40 years experience
For a while...: Antibiotics do not treat the problem, just the symptoms. The non-vital tooth, failing root canal, or periodontal pocket needs to be treated by a dentist. If it is not, you will become infected again, and again and again. The cycle will not stop until the offending tooth is treated or extracted. Please have it treated to prevent the infection from spreading.
Dr. John Calvert
Dentistry 36 years experience
No: Any kind of oral abscess needs to be treated besides the use of antibiotics. You should have your gums evaluated for the cause of the abscess by your dentist or a periodontist. Otherwise, the swelling will return and the problem will not go away. Good luck.