Irvine, California

Have an abscess in my gum under a root tooth dc says is infection & has to remove my tooth gave antibiotic but says i should take it out better help?

Dr. Reena Gupta
Dentistry 20 years experience
Go with your dentist: Sometimes if the tooth has bad decay and infection and if it unrestorable thats when the dentist would advise to get extraction..Hard to say without looking clinically ..Take the antibiotics and can talk too your dentist if there are any other options..Or anyway you can save...Get it treated so the infection or decay doesn't spread..
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Scott Schaffer
37 years experience
Dental Abscess: Root canals can fail and roots can fracture, so yes sometimes a tooth fails and needs to be removed. I would go for a second opinion to see if a retreat root canal can be done or a surgical procedure called an apicoectomy could be done.
Dr. John Thaler
Prosthodontics 42 years experience
Extraction: Antibiotic is for temporary help with infection. 2 usual options depending on the condition of the tooth, bone and tissue: root canal treatment and post/core and crown, or extraction and replacement with implant and crown or removable prosthesis.
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management 37 years experience
See a dentist ASAP: A tooth abscess won't go away without treatment and the infection may spread to your jaw, cheeks, sinus and to other areas of your head and neck. Dentist will treat a tooth abscess by treating the cause and getting rid of the infection. Tooth extraction is an option. See your dentist ASAP.
Last updated Sep 11, 2016