FL

Dental specialist says an antibiotic for a gum abscess is not needed since infection is not systemic. i'm not sure i agree. your opinion?

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 55 years experience
Infection: I can only give you my personal opinion and it is a general answer as I would need to know your medical history, see you clinically and have x-rays of the area in question. Having said that, I almost always if not always advise antibiotic coverage when one of my own patients has an infection.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dentistry 41 years experience
Me, too: I'm not sure I agree, either... why wait until the infection is systemic? At that point you may need hospitalization; a needless waste of time, money, and resources that could have been prevented for a few dollars. Most dental infections are localized, and antibiotics are almost always prescribed.
Dr. Robert Douglas
Orthodontics 52 years experience
It'll be OK: If the dentist cleaned out the infected area it will heal without systemic antibiotics. If there is pain, swelling, foul discharge taste or odor return to the dentist for further treatment.
Last updated Jun 25, 2021