Dental specialist says an antibiotic for a gum abscess is not needed since infection is not systemic. i'm not sure i agree. your opinion?

6 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. Gary Sandler answered

Specializes in Dentistry

I can only give you my personal opinion and it is a general answer as I would need to know your medical history, see you clinically and have x-rays of the area in question. Having said that, I almost always if not always advise antibiotic coverage when one of my own patients has an infection.

Answered Nov 4, 2016

905 views

Dr. Theodore Davantzis answered

Specializes in Dentistry

I'm not sure I agree, either... why wait until the infection is systemic? At that point you may need hospitalization; a needless waste of time, money, and resources that could have been prevented for a few dollars. Most dental infections are localized, and antibiotics are almost always prescribed.

Answered Nov 3, 2016

905 views

Dr. Robert Douglas answered

Specializes in Orthodontics

If the dentist cleaned out the infected area it will heal without systemic antibiotics. If there is pain, swelling, foul discharge taste or odor return to the dentist for further treatment.

Answered Nov 3, 2016

905 views