UT

I had a root canal done on tooth number 25 two days ago and from canine to canine on my bottom jaw, my gums are super swollen. is this normal? i did have an infection and an abscess and they gave me antibiotics before the root canal but the swelling is s

Dr. Daniel Sampson
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 27 years experience
Maybe: It sounds like you may still have infection going on. If this is still present, I would call your treating dentist.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Charles Kattuah
Dentistry 24 years experience
Not likely normal: Swelling after a root canal can occur but is not usually the norm. If the root canal system was cleaned and sealed properly you may need another course of antibiotics. Many times these particular teeth can have two canals and if one was missed then this situation is likely to occur. Call your treating dentist and have it looked at again.
Dr. Debra Rosenblatt
Dentistry 39 years experience
See DDS: Have your dentist evaluate the area to see that the root canal was filled adequately and that there is not a secondary canal. Other variables include, possible infection in another tooth, fracture, need for antibiotic therapy with a more broad spectrum antibiotic or the need for an apicoectomy. Check with your dentist to be sure.
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management 37 years experience
Do not be alarmed: You can expect to have some tenderness and swelling in the area even a week after the surgery. It takes time for the body to heal. It typically takes a couple of weeks for the gums to feel normal. If concerned. see your dentist for post-op appointment.
Dr. Daniel Rubenstein
Dentistry 52 years experience
Swollen gums: Any swelling is not normal. Return to your dentist and have this examined. Swelling indicates an infection, either from the tooth that had the root canal, another tooth, or your gums. Only x-rays and a clinical exam can determine the cause of the swelling.
Last updated Mar 13, 2020