NJ

I'm 26 and worried that the breast biopsy i had will cause breast cancer later in life from the trauma. is this true?

Dr. Carlos Encarnacion
Medical Oncology 36 years experience
Nope: It is not true. Whoever you heard it from is wrong. When we estimate breast cancer risk, we consider prior biopsies as a risk factor but it is because a biopsy is done as result of breast findings that can be premalignant, not because the biopsy per se increases the risk. If your doctor recommends a biopsy, I suggest you get it. At your age is unikely to be cancer but better be safe. Best 2U
Dr. Carlos Encarnacion
Medical Oncology 36 years experience
Provided original answer
And congratulations for being a non smoker. Keep that up please.
Sep 8, 2014
Dr. Michael Gabor
Diagnostic Radiology 34 years experience
No.: Breast biopsies do not cause breast cancer.

Last updated Dec 11, 2017