Honolulu, HI

Hi i have been experiencing right claf swelling mainly after i have alcohol- the calf muscle gets really tight and swells about 1/2" ?

Dr. Edward Hellman
Orthopedic Surgery 31 years experience
Be checked: There are many possible causes, but I would definitely be checked immediately. This is because one of the potential causes is a blood clot in your leg which can potentially go to the lung and be life threatening. Many people will walk around with a blood clot and not even know they have it.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Thomas Mcgowan
Specializes in Family Medicine
Not Sure: Alcohol and isolated calf swelling are not a seen as far as I know. The most important thing to rule out is a blood clot in your leg, but usually that swelling is persistent and does not come and go. Varicose veins can cause swelling which may be the cause as if you you drink too much, your liver may swell and blood flow from legs may be impeded and cause the swelling, See your MD to confirm.
Last updated Nov 28, 2017