NY

I have a firm, rubbery mass on the right side of my sacrum. it is about the size of my thumb - painless - and somewhat movable. should i see a doctor?

Dr. Dan Fisher
Lipoma?: Sounds like it is a fatty tumor - a lipoma - although it is really impossible to know without cutting it out. "Bad" things are usually very firm, don't move and get progressively larger. If you find any of those things see your doc. Otherwise I think waiting and watching is the best strategy.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Chan Hwang
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 29 years experience
Probably a lipoma...: Your description fits that of a lipoma (a benign tumor), but let your doctor see it. If he or she thinks it necessary he or she can biopsy it or refer you to a dermatologist.
Dr. Randy Baker
Holistic Medicine 42 years experience
Eventually but...: I have one of those too (same location), but it is more the size of a peanut. This is almost certainly a benign growth like a lipoma and does not need treatment. If it enlarges or becomes painful then seek attention sooner, otherwise I think it is reasonable to wait until you are seeing a doctor for some other reason and you can show it to him or her then.
Last updated Jun 10, 2015