A member asked about a female:
I gave my son ammoxicillian for his fever and realized after i gave him thr medicine, i noticed mold inside his medicine. should i be alarm?
2 doctor answers • 2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Jeffrey Juchauanswered
Family Medicine 35 years experience
Mold: Is this new medicine or old, was it refrigerated? It would be unusual for mild to grow on amoxil (amoxicillin). I doubt it will hurt him. If this is a current prescription I would take it to the pharmacist tomorrow. Don't give him another dose.
3.8k viewsAnswered >2 years ago
Dr. James Fergusonanswered
Pediatrics 48 years experience
Several questions: Amoxicillin is not a fever medicine although it is often given during diagnosed infections that trigger fever. The liquid medicine also goes bad within 2 weeks if refrigerated and 1 wk if not.If you are using left over meds it has lost it's strength and is worthless if not toxic.A moldy appearance is not by itself evidence of poisonous change, but I wouldn't use it.Contact his doc.
813 viewsAnswered >2 years ago
Last updated Jan 28, 2017
People also asked
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $44!
50% off with $19/month membership
Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.