A member asked about a female:

I gave my son ammoxicillian for his fever and realized after i gave him thr medicine, i noticed mold inside his medicine. should i be alarm?

Dr. Jeffrey Juchau
Mold: Is this new medicine or old, was it refrigerated? It would be unusual for mild to grow on amoxil (amoxicillin). I doubt it will hurt him. If this is a current prescription I would take it to the pharmacist tomorrow. Don't give him another dose.
Several questions: Amoxicillin is not a fever medicine although it is often given during diagnosed infections that trigger fever. The liquid medicine also goes bad within 2 weeks if refrigerated and 1 wk if not.If you are using left over meds it has lost it's strength and is worthless if not toxic.A moldy appearance is not by itself evidence of poisonous change, but I wouldn't use it.Contact his doc.

Last updated Jan 28, 2017