MO
A male asked:

my 14 year old son has had strep throat for 7 days now. he is still running a 100+ fever every now and then. he has been on amoxicillin for four days?

Dr. Natalie Hodge
Re exam : With adequately treated strep, fever should be resolved by day 4. Have him seen again if he wakes with a fever tomorrow. How was strep diagnosed? By rapid test? By culture? How is his pain? Is he having any drooling or trouble swallowing? Asymmetry of tonsils? Persistent infection can hide various places. Also, if no cx or testing done, several viruses may be culprit, mononucleosis among them
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics 50 years experience
Was Group A Strep-: tococcus grown on throat culture or did he have a positive "Quick Strep " test? If so, fever from "strep throat" should have abated after 48 hours on Penicillin or Amoxicillin & other symptoms by 3-5 days, though he needs 10 full days of treatment. If not, he may have a viral pharyngitis that will not respond to antibiotics. He now needs to see his MD for re-check & bloodwork to find the cause.
Dr. Ajay Acharya
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
Get him tested for mono........he must have started kissing....
Nov 10, 2015