How long should i exercise everyday to reduce 2-3 pounds a week?

8 doctors weighed in across 4 answers
Dr. Heidi Fowler answered

Specializes in Psychiatry

Depends on exercises: Eat healthfully & be physically active. Aim for 7.5 to 8 hrs of sleep / night. Hydrate w at least 64 oz of water / day. Calories burned must > calories consumed. Do both cardio & weight training. You can mix & match different kinds of exercise. This site helps determine calories burned for > 100 activities: http://www.prohealth.com/weightloss/tools/exercise/calculator1_2.cfm

Answered 9/29/2016

3.8k views

Dr. William Winget answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Exercise and diet: Only concentrating on exercising can increase muscle mass and promote weight gain if your diet does not change. Based on your current weight and activity levels you would have to reduce your intake of calories to lose weight healthfully. Most professionals agree that if you eat a healthy diet and exercise 3-5 times a week for 20-30 minutes you can lose 1-2 pounds a week and keep it off long term

Answered 9/29/2016

3.8k views

Dr. Kathryn Ko answered

Specializes in Neurosurgery

Exercise smart: I'm glad U R setting goals about your health. Get a regular exercise program consisting of activities you can do with your physical abilities. I usually recommend 30-45 minutes of DAILY exercise tailored to my patients age, sex and physical condition. Get going now!!

Answered 8/7/2014

3.8k views

Dr. Susan Arnoult answered

Specializes in Family Medicine

Depends: That depends on your height, weight, age, your diet and what type of exercise you want to do. You can go to www.myfitnesspal.com - fill in all these data points and it will help you plan diet and exercise to lose 2-3 lb/week.

Answered 9/29/2016

3.8k views