U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 34-year-old member asked:

My father has a severe dental problem and the dentist hassuggested that he should see a peridontist and not undergo an oral and maxillofacial surgery. please recommend what to do.

4 doctor answers8 doctors weighed in
Dr. Addagada Rao
General Surgery 57 years experience
Depends: The reason he referred to periodontist is most likely your father has gum disease ( gingivitis ) do not need others.
Dr. James Wright
Dentistry 34 years experience
Gum issues: Sounds like your dentist feels your father has gum issues... That would be a reason to refer you to a periodontist instead of an oral surgeon.
Dr. Husam Elias
15 years experience
It depends: Oral and maxillofacial surgeons care for patients with problem damaged teeth, facial pain, and misaligned jaws. They treat accident victims suffering facial injuries, place dental implants, care for patients with oral cancer, tumors and cysts of the jaws, and perform facial cosmetic surgery. A periodontist specializes in treatment of periodontal and gingival disease.
Dr. Sam Markzar
Dentistry - Periodontics 28 years experience
4 some reasons.....: If your dad's dentist has clearly expressed to look for a periodontist and not an oral surgeon for ur dad's treatment, then I am to believe the reason is that your dad's 'severe dental problem" is actually "severe periodontal disease" or gum disease, which is infection of the exterior surface of the tooth roots, surrounding bone, and showing through the overlaying gum tissues.
Last updated Jun 23, 2020


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.