U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 48-year-old member asked:

Do i complain to elderly person's dentist if sent to periodontist and not to oral and maxillofacial surgery for extraction?

3 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
Dr. Addagada Rao
General Surgery 57 years experience
Who does extractions: Although all dds ( dentists ) are trained to do dental extractions, they limit their practices certain procedures, probably extractions are done by periodontist.In your area.
Dr. Meng Syn
Dr. Meng Synanswered
Dentistry 39 years experience
No: Both are qualified to do extractions. Extraction is a modality of treatment in peridontal therapy. Extractions by periodontist are performed during the diagnostic, non-surgical, or surgical phases of care to eliminate pain, infection, or periodontal defects and/or to facilitate restorative treatment like implants.
Dr. James Hargan
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 24 years experience
Depends: Depends on your state's dental practice act / laws. Some states restrict periodontists to do only what their specialty is supposed to do which can include removing teeth but only if it is removed in the process of current periodontal therapy ( gum treatment). It varies from state to state. You can call your state dental board to fin out facts for your state.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership

Related questions

A 39-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 40-year-old member asked:
2 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
A 39-year-old member asked:
2 doctor answers8 doctors weighed in
Last updated Aug 21, 2013


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.