U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 46-year-old member asked:

Anyone coping with scoliosis from hemihypertrophy?

2 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Dr. Susana Duncan
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 36 years experience
Not me: But i recognize the problem. Your one side is more developed muscularly than the other, and the weaker side is less able to support your spine, so you can start to bend toward the side with more muscle. This can be painful. The best solution if the condition is not very advanced is to keep the more developed side well stretched and work to strengthen the weaker side. Pt will help. Avoid bracing.
Dr. Michael Bolesta
Orthopedic Surgery 41 years experience
Secondary curve: The difference in the size (length) of one leg can tilt the pelvis and cause a secondary curve of the spine. Getting to a pediatric orthopedic surgeon early and taking measures to keep the leg lengths similar (many options) can prevent such curves from enlarging or becoming permanent.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership

Similar questions

A 44-year-old member asked:

Anyone have scoliosis from hemihypertrophy?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Mark Weston
Orthopedic Spine Surgery 32 years experience
Yes: Yhis can be a flexible vompensatory umlbar curve from a leg length discreancy correct with a shoe lift not to be confused with adolescent idiopathic scoli.
Last updated Aug 21, 2012
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.