U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 32-year-old female asked:

Are there ways to treat narcolepsy for a recovering alcoholic and drug addict? i am both, and taking amphetamines is not an option.

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Anne Eglash
Family Medicine 36 years experience
Usually stimulants: Usually stimulants are used for narcolepsy. I suggest making sure that this is your diagnosis. See your primary care physician first, to make sure it is nothing else. Your doctor will refer you to a sleep specialist if needed.
Dr. Joseph Gutman
44 years experience
Well...: First congratulations on you entering recovery, and being serious about it.... You should consult a sleep disorders specialist. You will get better. Have faith. And be pro-active

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Jul 5, 2014


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.