Can acupuncture help lumbar radiculopathy?

5 doctors weighed in across 4 answers

Low back pain: Yes. Acupuncture reduces inflammation through the release of endorphins and increases microcirculation to improve joint mobility and reduce muscle stiffness. Acupuncture stimulates the release of serotonin and noradrenaline too. Eastern medicine may provide another alternative for pain relief.

Answered 8/14/2014

3.9k views

Dr. Heidi Fowler answered

Specializes in Psychiatry

Agree with Dr. Lewis: Many of my acupuncture patient's suffer from radiculopathy. While acupuncture won't cure structural lesions - it can improve circulation, lymphatic drainage & movement of energy/ Qi. These are independent of the brain changes which Dr. Lewis already pointed out. A number of my patients are referred by neruologists and neurosurgeons.

Answered 11/2/2019

3.8k views

Dr. Edward Hellman answered

Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery

Yes: Like many treatments for the spine, there is some degree of trial and error, but I would say that acupuncture can potentially help some patients with a radiculopathy.

Answered 11/2/2019

677 views

Dr. Erik Borncamp answered

Specializes in Wound care

Yes and no. : May help with pain or stress (if you Believe in it enough). But the disease itself will not change and may continue to get worse. Find a spine surgeon who encourages you to try all nonsurgical options first If no weakness or numbness you may be able to get away with acupuncture for a while

Answered 11/2/2019

667 views