Lakewood, CA

started working out with barbell shoulder exercises. now i have right shoulder & collarbone discomfort. x-ray was normal. is mri warranted?

Dr. Charlene Sojico
MRI will not : Solve your discomfort on your shoulder and collarbone. You may just have strained or pulled a muscle when you started exercising. Physical therapy , warm compresses and anti-inflammatory medications may help. Take it easy with your exercise. See your doctor if symptoms are getting worst
Dr. Stephen Scholand
Infectious Disease 23 years experience
Weight lifting pains: Pumping iron needs to be done carefully to avoid injury- so hopefully you have a spotter or trainer to help. That said, the severity of your pains, range of motion, and physical exam of the area are factors that would determine if you need an MRI. A problem that seems severe, won't go away or inhibits daily function is something I would scan. If in 2 weeks not better, see a doc.