Aurora, CO

is ercp induced pancreatitis a one and done deal? no previous pancreatitis or serious health issues. gallbladder was removed

Dr. Nadine Yamusah
Specializes in Internal Medicine
Done deal?: I really do not understand the question. There are several causes of pancreatitis. Yes, ERCP is one of them. The other causes are of course gallstones, alcohol use, some medications, elevated calcium, hypertriglycerides and a slew of others.
Dr. Sidney Miller
Specializes in General Surgery
Probably not: The most frequent casue for pancreatits after ERCP is reaction to the dye or the pressure iof the injuection. either or both can occur but the risk benefit needs to be weighed