U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 37-year-old member asked:

How to get psychiatric services without health insurance?

3 doctor answers12 doctors weighed in
Dr. Glen Elliott
Child Psychiatry 43 years experience
Several options: Depending on your income, you may qualify for county mental health services; check the government pages in the phone book or online. If you have resources, many psychiatrists greatly prefer direct pay rather than going through health insurance.
Dr. Jane Steiner
Psychiatry 43 years experience
Can be done: Most towns and cities have family services clinics sponsored by the united way, or the jewish federation, or similar type charities, that run on a sliding scale, based on what a patient can afford. Medical schools teaching hospitals and/or university graduate programs in psychology may run free or low-cost clinics. And of course in emergencies, the er is always there.
Dr. Alan Koenigsberg
Psychiatry 42 years experience
Make appointment: Perhaps I am not aware of something relevant, but you make an appointment with a psychiatrist the same way you would any other physician. Talk to your family physician, and ask for a referral. If you don't have an fp, call the local medical school, and ask for the department of psychiatry. They will recommend a psychiatrist for you. You can pay the psychiatrist directly for his or her services.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership

Similar questions

A 31-year-old member asked:

How to get behavioral psychiatric services without health insurance?

1 doctor answer6 doctors weighed in
Dr. Glen Elliott
Child Psychiatry 43 years experience
Pay for them: Lots of practitioners of behavioral therapy are not covered with insurance and accept only direct pay. If that's not feasible, depending on the need, if this is for a child, the school may authorize and pay for behavioral services through an individualized education plan (iep). Also, if you meet criteria, public insurance (medicaid) may pay for such care.

Related questions

A 40-year-old member asked:
2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
A 42-year-old member asked:
2 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
A 34-year-old member asked:
2 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
A 30-year-old member asked:
4 doctor answers12 doctors weighed in
Last updated Apr 14, 2016
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.