U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 19-year-old male asked:

Naproxen 500mg not helping with tmj pain/cheek swelling. what to do?

3 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management 37 years experience
See OFP: See an orofacial pain specialist for evaluation, ct scan (not mri) and treatment. They are the experts in facial pain, headaches and tmj. You need a professional care to avoid future complications. Take care.
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dentistry 46 years experience
Evaluation: You need a thorough history and exam with a Dr. Could be many causes and need to treat source, not symptoms.
Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial 46 years experience
See TMJ Expert: See a TMJ specialist. Any dentist can be a TMJ expert with the proper training and experience. Most commonly, oral surgeons, prosthodontists, and orofacial pain specialists. Ask your MD, your dentist and your dental society for referrals.
Last updated Mar 23, 2015


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.