U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 32-year-old member asked:

How to cope as an adult survivor of child abuse?

1 doctor answer5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Holly Maes
Pediatrics 37 years experience
Thanks for asking: It must be very hard to reach out after suffering for many years. I have (and am) in your shoes. That trauma is never forgotten, but you can learn to go on despite and in spite of what you lived through - I have that personal experience. It takes therapy, though, to have someone skilled in abuse counseling to help you put it in your rearview mirror, instead of staring at you head on. Seek a pro!
Dr. Robert GalatzerLevy
Child Psychiatry 51 years experience
Finding the right therapist, just someone you can talk to and who understands, can be a challenge. Be willing to talk to several people before you choose. Don't go by their theories but whether they can create a situation where you can begin to talk and think about the terror and confusion that is likely still part of your being.
Jul 7, 2014

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership

Related questions

A 25-year-old member asked:
4 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
A 23-year-old member asked:
2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
A 44-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer9 doctors weighed in
A 35-year-old member asked:
2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Last updated Jul 7, 2014


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.