How to cope as an adult survivor of child abuse?

Dr. Holly Maes
Thanks for asking: It must be very hard to reach out after suffering for many years. I have (and am) in your shoes. That trauma is never forgotten, but you can learn to go on despite and in spite of what you lived through - I have that personal experience. It takes therapy, though, to have someone skilled in abuse counseling to help you put it in your rearview mirror, instead of staring at you head on. Seek a pro!
Dr. Robert GalatzerLevy
Child Psychiatry 51 years experience
Finding the right therapist, just someone you can talk to and who understands, can be a challenge. Be willing to talk to several people before you choose. Don't go by their theories but whether they can create a situation where you can begin to talk and think about the terror and confusion that is likely still part of your being.
Jul 7, 2014