U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 23-year-old member asked:

If a child is bullied more as a kid are they more likely to abuse alcohol as an adult?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Irwin Berkowitz
Specializes in Pediatrics
Vulnerability: How a child, parents and society deal with bullying affects the psychological outcome on the child. Children who are made to feel helpless and vulnerable by the bullying are more likely to develop anxiety and depression and ultimately alcohol abuse. With family and school support the victim can be helped to feel empowered reducing the risk of future psychological disorders.
Dr. Gary Snead
ADHD and Autism 35 years experience
Perhaps: Bullies, and those who are bullied, are more at risk for many emotional health problems later on. Many people try to self-treat their emotional pain with substances like alcohol. There are many other factors that also influence the risk of adult alcohol abuse, including family history of alcohol or drug abuse, personal characteristics of vulnerability vs. Resilience, social support, or lack of it.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership

Related questions

A 46-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 29-year-old member asked:
3 doctor answers8 doctors weighed in
A 37-year-old member asked:
2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
A 41-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Last updated Jan 20, 2016
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.