I was scheduled for plastic surgery and my wbc came back at 14 my doctor insists its not high but the plastic surgeon wont do the surgery.

2 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Leonard Metildi answered

Specializes in General Surgery

It is abnormal: An elevated WBC is a sign of infection, bacterial, someplace. Plastic surgical procedures done in the presence of an occult infection can lead to disastrous results from the surgical wound ( which can be extensive depending on the procedure) becoming infected. Since your procedure is most likely completely elective, your plastic surgeon is being prudent by not proceeding with surgery.

Answered 6/10/2014

4.2k views

Dr. Nader Roheny answered

Specializes in Internal Medicine

Likely it is not: It is not high, the more important thing is the differential (the percentage of the different sub groups of the white blood cells).

Answered 4/13/2014

4.2k views