Hollywood, FL

I was scheduled for plastic surgery and my wbc came back at 14 my doctor insists its not high but the plastic surgeon wont do the surgery.

Dr. Leonard Metildi
General Surgery 46 years experience
It is abnormal: An elevated WBC is a sign of infection, bacterial, someplace. Plastic surgical procedures done in the presence of an occult infection can lead to disastrous results from the surgical wound ( which can be extensive depending on the procedure) becoming infected. Since your procedure is most likely completely elective, your plastic surgeon is being prudent by not proceeding with surgery.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Nader Roheny
Specializes in Internal Medicine
Likely it is not: It is not high, the more important thing is the differential (the percentage of the different sub groups of the white blood cells).
Last updated Jun 10, 2014