difficulty sleeping. any suggestions to help me drift off?

Dr. Joseph Boland
Clinical Psychology 34 years experience
Control Stress: It is common for people to have difficulty falling asleep because they are too stressed and anxious about everything going on in their lives. If you can not manage your anxiety and stress during the day, it is hard to turn it off at night. A structured cbt program can teach you emotional self-help skills to better understand and control your anxiety and stress.
Dr. Miroslava Fox
Clinical Psychology 15 years experience
Sleep Hygiene: Before the bedtime, write a summary of your day -- +things that happened to you and a list for tomorrow to bring more structure to your routine. Have a bedtime routine, make sure the room is a little on a cooler side, take a warm shower before bed, try relaxation. If these things don't help, seek someone who works with sleep difficulties and talk to your physician to find a reason for insomnia.
Dr. Shaym Puppala
Sleep hygiene: Try any that apply: 1) Keep a regular sleep schedule (same time in/out of bed), 2) quiet, dark room - no TV/music, 3) use bedroom only for sleep/marital relations, 4)if no sleep in 20min, leave room until sleepy, then try again (repeat as needed), 5)No caffeine after noon/no alcohol at bedtime, 6)write worries in a journal by bedside, then deal with them next day,7) No success in 6 weeks? See doc.