Bridgewater, NJ

Is ultram considered an opioid? is it addicting ? it is being perscribed fog pain from severe osteo arthritis of the c spine , lower back and knee

Dr. Robert Killian
General Practice 30 years experience
Ultram: Ultram is considered a non-opiate pain medication. It is highly addicting. Many people in drug treatment centers for prescription drug abuse or misuse are there for ultram. Beyond that I am not sure what else you are asking. It is a very effective pain medication when used in moderation and as prescribed by a physician.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Gordon Donald
39 years experience
Yes and no: Technically, ultram (tramadol) is an opioid but is not considered a narcotic by the fda. It is supposed to be non addictive. However, I have seen patients addicted to it at least psychologically. It is a very good pain medicine for many ailments particularly osteoarthritis with no acetaminophen.
Last updated Jan 24, 2014