is there a need for pap smears if supracervical hysterectomy done?

Dr. Craig Keathley
Yes: The pap smear is a test specifically designed to screen for abnormalities of the cervix. If the cervix remains in place, you should continue with routine screening for cervical cancer or pre-cancer.
Pathology 49 years experience
Yes: If hysterectomy is supra-cervical, then cervix is still there and can develop cancer, hence the need for regular pap smear exams.
Dr. Hugo Ribot
Yes: As long as a woman has a cervix, she needs pap smear screening. The interval depends on individual factors, such as history of abnormal pap smears, exposure to hpv (human papilloma virus), whether she is monogamous or not, etc. The newest recommendations can be found here: http://www.Uspreventiveservicestaskforce.Org/uspstf/uspscerv.Htm.
Dr. Scott Kramer
Gynecology 36 years experience
Yes since cervix: If you have a cervix then there is risk of cervical cancer. While this risk declines with age there are new recommendations for how often you should have a pap, and for women over 30 an additional test on same sample for hi risk hpv (human papillomavirus) that causes most cervical cancers. Here's link: http://www.Womenshealthfremont.Com/newsdesk/news/longer-intervals-recommended-for-pap-smears.