Hi doctors, can you tell me what is retroperitoneal sarcoma?

Pathology 45 years experience
Fairly common: This is a cancer arising from connective tissue, blood vessels, or fat, in the area of your back behind the sheath that covers your intestine. Many of these are very slow-growing liposarcomas that can get quite big. Some can be cured surgically and many of the rest are still compatible with a long and good life.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Christian Schultheis
Hematology and Oncology 25 years experience
Abdomen: A retro peritoneal sarcoma is a cancer of the smooth muscle arising in an organ in the abdomen. It typically arises from the lining of the bowel. Hope this helps.
Dr. David Stockman
Dermatopathology 8 years experience
Retroperitoneal sarcomas arise from numerous types of tissue. The most common occurring in the retroperitoneum being a liposarcoma which arises from fat. I would make sure you speak with an oncologist at a specialty cancer center to discuss therapy. Please make sure that you have your sarcoma pathology checked by an expert david.stockman@orthopath.com
Aug 1, 2015
Dr. David Stockman
Dermatopathology 8 years experience
Retroperitoneal: The most common retroperitoneal sarcoma is one that arises from fibroadipose tissue or fat. We term this liposarcoma. Please make sure that you have your sarcoma pathology checked by an expert. I am an MD Anderson trained pathologist with expertise in sarcoma. Please contact if you a free opinion david.stockman@orthopath.com
Last updated Aug 1, 2015