My chest xray showed--right upper midzonal consolidation is seen with a fibrotic element.is it tb scar? could it cause lung cancer. doctor please answer.

3 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Amy Levine answered

Specializes in Radiology

Abnormal Xray: I cannot say without seeing the xray. However, "fibrotic" implies scarring. If you have history of tb, it can be from that, or any prior infection. Would not hurt to keep an eye on it, as TB can recur. Tb does not cause lung cancer, nor does scarring. If the scarring is from smoking however, that does cause cancer without doubt! if you do smoke, at your age you have time to heal if you quit.

Answered 4/2/2016

4.6k views

Dr. Andrew Turrisi answered

Specializes in Radiation Oncology

TB affects apices..: Very tops, causes cavities, and scars. Also calcified nodes in the mediastinum. The question includes an age of 20 -- scar cancers are rare and occur in 6th thru 8th decade. Don't smoke, quit if you do.

Answered 2/15/2017

4.6k views