U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 27-year-old male asked:

Tooth decay & broke leaving only 2 small pieces & root. gum grew over. now holes i'm gum where pieces are. pain. what will dentist do? will it hurt?

4 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
Dr. Sam Markzar
Dentistry - Periodontics 28 years experience
Not sure: But from the info you are giving , it looks like that you might be in 'verge of losing that tooth. But if it is even saveable, you might need root canal, post and tooth build up, along with a gum surgery , called crown lengthening, to clear up the over grown gum ... It might not be even worth saving the tooth...So , talk to your dentist asap to determine what is the best course of treatment
Dr. Patricia Mcgarry
Invisalign, Sleep Apnea Appliances, Lumineers 37 years experience
Broken tooth: They will numb you so you can't feel anything and remove the root and the pieces.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 54 years experience
Remove and replace: Dentist will numb area, so you have no pain, and remove the tooth remnants. Dentist may refer you to oral surgeon for this treatment. Dentist will also explain your options for replacing missing tooth so that other teeth don't shift. Please know that your procrastination has made treatment technically more difficult and therefore more expensive. Don't put off future treatment.
Dr. Monica Scheurer
Dentistry 28 years experience
Extraction: From your description, I would say the tooth would need to be removed. The tooth will be numbed, so you shouldn't feel a thing.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Sep 28, 2017


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.