is it not a good idea to take zyprexa and abilify (aripiprazole) together? trying to decide if abilify (aripiprazole) is better for me. took it in the afternoon, zyprexa last night

Dr. Kenneth Adler
No: Similar type medications, doesn't make much sense to be taking both together. This increases risks of side effects and problems.
Dr. Nicholas Stratas
Not advised: These are drugs which work in a similar way - if youe want to experiment do it with your doc's supervision.
Dr. Pamela Pappas
2 Antipsychotics: Why are you taking 2 antipsychotics at the same time? This sounds like unusual prescribing -- and i suggest consulting with a psychiatrist for diagnosis and also appropriate treatment. If this is your psychiatrist prescribing 2 antipsychotics, please make sure s/he is not cross-tapering off of one with the intent of changing to the other. Taking both would be for a very brief time only.