U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 31-year-old member asked:

How to take the swelling down on my face due to an infected tooth?

3 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dentistry 41 years experience
Phone call: If you are infected from a rotten tooth or from periodontitis, you need to call a dentist to be seen. There is nothing, and i repeat nothing, that you can do yourself to treat that problem. Please make the call before the pain becomes unbearable. Go to the er if it becomes an emergency.
Dr. Kenneth Grossman
A Verified Doctoranswered
Endodontics 45 years experience
See dentist: Antibiotics along with establishing drainage and treating the cause of the swelling is imperative.See your dental pro!
Dr. Tarek Hamid
Dentistry 10 years experience
Needs meds.: You need medications to treat that abscess then explore your options regarding the causing tooth wether root canal treatment iron extraction needed, therefore you need to see a dentist asap...

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Sep 28, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.