FL

i have an abcessed tooth, the swelling in my face hasn't gone down yet and they prescribed me penicillin and hydrocodone yesterday.. how long ?

Dr. John Calvert
Dentistry 36 years experience
24 - 48 hours: It can take up to 48 hours for antibiotics to make a difference with a dental infection. I hope you have made an appointment to have the tooth treated. Unlike other bacterial infections in the body, a dental infection will not go away simply with antibiotics. The source of the infection, needs to be removed (root canal therapy), assuming the tooth can be saved. Good luck.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 53 years experience
Days: May take 2-3 days to see limitation of infection. Antibiotics, however, will NOT cure an abscessed tooth. Pain killers will only mask symptoms. You need to see a Dentist to have the tooth treated (root canal or extraction), or the infection will come roaring back once meds are discontinued. Call now for an appointment.
Dr. Stephen Pyle
Dentistry 39 years experience
36-48 hours: Hydrocodone will not help with swelling; penicillin (2 gm/day) should begin working to reduce swelling in 36-48 hours.,
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin answered
Pain Management 36 years experience
See a dentist ASAP: Antibiotics do not treat a dental infection, they suppress the symptoms of the infection just long enough for you to get your dental treatment done. Dentist will treat a tooth abscess by treating the cause and getting rid of the infection. Do not delay. Good luck.
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dentistry 40 years experience
One to three days: More importantly, who are "they"? If you are referring to physicians in an ER, then you need to see a dentist ASAP. The area may to be drained, the tooth may need to be opened. Antibiotics will not cure your problem.

Last updated Nov 28, 2017