Elkton, MD

Had a ct scan of abdomen, pelvis all was fine even appendix, but mine was removed 30 years ago.

Dr. Ryan Polselli
Radiology 17 years experience
Consider...: I have seen inadvertent reporting of the appendix before. One of the more common ways this happens is when the radiologist reads a normal study and says "dictate normal" but forgets to remove the part in the template about the appendix. Incidentally, I have also seen a very rare case in which the patient reported prior surgery for an appendectomy but the appendix was still there.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Michael Ginsburg
Interventional Radiology 14 years experience
Appendiceal Stump: One possibility is ct visualization of an apendiceal stump. This is a residual appendix from incomplete appendectomy most commonly occurs when the appendix is removed prophylactically during another operation with poor visualisation through a distant incision. Also, if appendicitis is complicated by an abscess that surrounds the appendix, inadequate removal can occur leaving a residual stump.
Last updated Jul 18, 2019