Had a ct scan of abdomen, pelvis all was fine even appendix, but mine was removed 30 years ago.

5 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Ryan Polselli answered

Specializes in Radiology

Consider...: I have seen inadvertent reporting of the appendix before. One of the more common ways this happens is when the radiologist reads a normal study and says "dictate normal" but forgets to remove the part in the template about the appendix. Incidentally, I have also seen a very rare case in which the patient reported prior surgery for an appendectomy but the appendix was still there.

Answered 7/10/2015

4.7k views

Dr. Michael Ginsburg answered

Specializes in Interventional Radiology

Appendiceal Stump: One possibility is ct visualization of an apendiceal stump. This is a residual appendix from incomplete appendectomy most commonly occurs when the appendix is removed prophylactically during another operation with poor visualisation through a distant incision. Also, if appendicitis is complicated by an abscess that surrounds the appendix, inadequate removal can occur leaving a residual stump.

Answered 7/18/2019

4.7k views