Can removing hardered tartar make teeth fall out?

Dr. Robert Wilkoff
Dentistry 40 years experience
Reverse is true: Actually, not removing the hardened deposits will allow your teeth to fall out. Tartar, known by dentist as calculus, is teaming with bacteria! these germs release poisons which cause your gums to become inflamed. Bone loss follows so the teeth become loose. Have the tartar removed professionally as soon as possible. Then, find a way to see your dentist as often as recommended to have your teeth professionally cleaned.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Howard Schneider
Pediatric Dentistry 35 years experience
Not exactly: Tartar is a hardened layer of bacteria that can build up on teeth over time. Toxins from the bacteria eat away the bone holding in your teeth (periodontal disease) and can lead to tooth lose. In extreme cases so much supporting bone has been lost that the tartar adhering the teeth to each other may be the only thing holding the teeth in place, so removing it makes the teeth seem loose.
Dr. William Jakavick
undefined 38 years experience
Unless the bone is so compromised by periodontal disease and the tartar is the only thing holding the tooth in place it is not likely . However it is much more common in cases of moderate to advanced gum disease with excessive tartar buildup that teeth feel loose after tartar is removed and this is a good indication it is time to see the periodontist.
Oct 20, 2013
Dr. Debra Rosenblatt
Dentistry 39 years experience
Treatment plan: See your dentist for a complete evaluation and full mouth series of radiographs. If you are deemed to have periodontal disease, you will be treated appropriately. Removal of calculus can make loose teeth looser, but you need a treatment plan and need to determine how you would like to address your dental health.
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management 37 years experience
Removal of Tartar: If tartar is not removed and gingivitis is left untreated, it can progress into a serious form of gum disease, tooth loss and general health problems. See your dentist for consultation and treatment.
Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial 46 years experience
Only if: Only if there is so much periodontal disease and bone loss that the only thing holding the teeth in place is the tartar. I've seen this.