I am a single mom. i felt a big mass in my breast. i got a mammogram done which showed a cyst. i wanted it drained for cancer cell evaluation? should i go for it?

9 doctors weighed in across 3 answers

OK to Drain, but...: ...Not for cancer evaluation. Breast cysts are benign fluid-filled lumps that can appear "overnight" and, when large, can cause quite a bit of pain. While it is not necessary to biopsy these, many women prefer to have these aspirated due to the pain that they can cause. Ironically, we do not routinely send this fluid for evaluation (unless bloody) since they are, by definition, benign.

Answered 4/15/2018

6k views

Treating fear with: A surgical or radiology directed procedure cures neither the tendency to form cysts or the scared feeling that causes the question. Giving reasons will not allay your concern. Age, family history, medication, physical finding and other history could influence, but cyst spiration and cytology each time you get a cyst is wasteful use of resources. You need help, but not cytology.

Answered 3/26/2012

6k views

Follow MD's advice: It is likely a good idea to have the cyst drained and fluid examined by a pathologist. Since the question alone does not provide sufficient information, you should follow the advice of your doctor.

Answered 7/5/2012

5.9k views