U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
United Kingdom
A 20-year-old female asked:

My graves' disease ft4 is getting worse, it's now 88.6 and it's been a year since on medication, would surgery or radio treatment be a good option?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Alan Feldman
43 years experience
See endocrinologist: I assume your free T4 level is pmol/l, and is indeed high. You are not on enough dosage of an antithyroid drug (methimazole). Some people require doses as high as 30 mg twice daily. It would certainly be reasonable to think about definitive treatment of the hyperthyroidism by surgery or radio iodine. You should see an endocrinologist to help you decide.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Jan 15, 2015


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.