U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
United Kingdom
A 20-year-old female asked:

I need a second opinion, i have graves' disease, it's been a year now since on medication and my ft4 went from 84.2 to 45.2 in a year, is this slow?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Philip Kern
Endocrinology 45 years experience
Need treatment: The upper range of ft4 in the uk is about 25, right? So your ft4 is still about 2x normal. I presume you still have symptoms. I would advise aggressively treating your graves with Methimazole and beta-blocker to get your ft4 near normal. This can be done over a few months. At that point, there should be a discussion of definitive treatment with radioactive iodine or surgery.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Jun 28, 2014


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.