U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
New York, NY
A 18-year-old female asked:

Where can i go to get an hsv test ? i'm 17 and one doctors office told me i was too young.

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Susan King
Specializes in Family Medicine
Hsv testing: HSV can be tested using a swab if you have an active lesion or blood testing. Hsv1 - oral HSV and HSV2 - genital HSV are detected by antibodies in the blood. An acute infection is detected by IgM HSV antibodies but cannot differentiate between type 1 and 2. When an infection is not acute you develop IgG antibodies this can be used to differentiate between 1 and 2.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dermatology 58 years experience
Find a better Dr
Jan 12, 2017
Last updated Jan 12, 2017


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.